Danny & Family

Just Some Random Stories About Me and My Family

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

A Couple Of Updates

Saturday's golf tournament (the Carlos Aguirre Memorial) was fun. I really enjoyed myself, and my mom, uncle, and cousin had fun too. It was not as hot as we expected; only 90-ish. I didn't shoot as well as I would have liked to. Out of embarrassment I will not tell you my score, but I will tell you it was over 100. Considering I haven't played in a full year, and the difficulty of this golf course, it's no surprise.

There were a couple of memorable holes that I will share with you: Number 5, a par 5, dogleg right with water at the beginning and the end. You need to hit a shot that must carry over water in order to land on the green. The last four years I did not play this hole very well. This time I hit a good drive and a good 2nd shot. I knew I couldn't reach the green on my 3rd shot, so I hit short of the water. My 4th shot needed to be about 75 yards to the center of the green. I purposely selected a club that would easily carry the water (I've been in the water 3 times before). Oops. Too much club. I flew over the green, and then my ball bounced on the cart path and flew over a block wall into the street. I took the stroke penalty (but not the distance as the rules called for). I still had to chip on the green and putt out. I took an 8 - ouch.

That was not the worst hole I played, but I wont bore you talking about them. A hole that started off promising - number 8, a par 4, straight and not too long, I actually landed on the green in regulation. (That means my 2nd shot landed on the green, and I was putting for a birdie.) Oops. I 3-putt for a bogey 5.

The 18th hole was one of my better ones. A long par 5, with an elevated tee; you must hit into a valley and work your way back uphill to an elevated green. Did I mention the water? A stream with little waterfalls and pools, descending from the front of the green to the fairway from right to left. I hit a good drive and a 2nd and a 3rd shot. My 4th shot was the approach to the green, less that 100 yards which had to carry the water. It landed on the green close enough for me to 2-putt. I took a bogey 6. In total I only had 4 single bogeys. No pars, everything else doubles or higher - ouch.

Laura continues to improve, and has been back to work for nearly 2 weeks. Thanks again for all the well wishes and prayers. She is coaching Nina's cheerleader squad, and they are practicing for opening day ceremonies. Laura had a run-in with a couple the girl's parents. 3 girls have been showing up late to practice, which affects the other girls on the squad. Laura talked to the parents after practice last night, and they didn't like it. It got ugly, and Laura had to call one of the league officers to step in. The bottom line is if the kids are going to be late (or absent) Laura wants to know before practice starts. Also, if the parents are going to briefly leave the practice area (parents are required to stay at practice at this age group) to go to the snack shack, or the restroom, or to stretch their legs; just let Laura know. That way if there's an emergency, Laura will know where to look for the parent(s). No big deal, but these bitches really gave Laura a bad time about this very reasonable request.

Brady is about two weeks from starting high school. He's also helping Laura plan his birthday party - a late night bowling party. This time of the year is crazy due to so many family birthdays. Complicating that is back to school, the start of cheer (football) season, and the start of our off road club riding season.

Finally, work has been very busy lately. I don't want to talk too much about work, but it does factor into my life. As I say on my profile - it's a necessary evil.

Labels: , , , , ,

8 Comments:

  • At August 16, 2007 8:04 AM, Blogger sage said…

    Glad your wife is recovering. As for golf, although it's in my roots (I was born in Pinehurst, NC), I sold my clubs when I went back to grad school 22 years ago and haven't play since, nor have I missed it. But then, my golf score and my bowling score were generally on par--maybe explaining why I don't care for either game.

     
  • At August 16, 2007 8:31 AM, Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said…

    Those cheerleading moms need to step off!

    Glad to hear Laura's doing well. Hope the birthday party goes off without a hitch!

     
  • At August 16, 2007 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Dan. Michele sent me.

    Hate it when parents get an attitude when a person simply asks for a heads up that they are going to be late. Common courtesy doesn't seem to be too common lately.

     
  • At August 17, 2007 1:18 PM, Blogger D.O.M. Dan said…

    Sage
    Golf isn't for everyone. My golf score and bowling score are about the same too.

    Mishy
    Those moms gave Laura the cold shoulder the following day, but they had their girls to practice on time. Brady's party will be great.

    Fathead
    You're right, it doesn't seem to be too common lately.

     
  • At August 17, 2007 8:43 PM, Blogger v said…

    Glad to hear Laura is doing better. And that the golf tourney went well.

    I like watching golf on tv, but the closest I've come to actually playing is visiting the driving range. I still doubt I can hit the ball with irons.

    And wow, the attitudes certain people (like those cheer moms) think they can get away with. The important thing is that they got the message to come on time. Mad props to Laura.

    And I too hope the B-Day party goes well.

     
  • At August 18, 2007 3:47 PM, Blogger LA said…

    Wow, it sounds like cheerleader moms and little league dads are cut from the same cloth!

    BTW, I totally feel your pain on those water shots!

     
  • At August 18, 2007 4:52 PM, Blogger Diane said…

    Golf is so very frustrating and then so very rewarding when you hit a good shot! I hope Brady's party goes well, and glad to hear Laura is doing well

     
  • At August 19, 2007 6:14 PM, Blogger D.O.M. Dan said…

    V, LA, Diane -
    As always, thanks for stopping by.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home