Danny & Family

Just Some Random Stories About Me and My Family

Saturday, June 30, 2007

June Birthdays and Anniversaries

Well it's the last day of June and I almost forgot to give a shout out to family and friends celebrating birthdays and anniversaries. Actually, there's only family this time around, and there's only one birthday this month.

Brother-in-law Louis, who celebrated his back on the 5th. Happy Birthday Louis!

As far as anniversaries, this topic is a little more sensitive. As long as I can remember, I've always told my grandmother that I was thinking about her on the day of her anniversary. Her wedding anniversary is on the 24th. Last Sunday, just like every year, I wished her a happy anniversary. And, just like every year, she was very happy that I remembered.

I've never asked a lot of questions about my grandparents. I don't know if they were legally divorced or just separated. My grandmother has always gone by her married name. What I do know is that my grandfather died many years ago, and I have few memories of him. They are fond, cherished memories, but they are few. I guess it's time to ask my mom.

Speaking of my mom, I wished her a "Happy Flag Day" back on the 14th. It was always easy for me to remember my parents' wedding anniversary because it fell on
Flag Day. Well ever since my dad died back in 2000, my sisters and I have wished my mom Happy Flag Day on June 14th. By the way, my parents were happily married 42 years at the time of my dad's death, and would have celebrated their 49 anniversary this year.

So that's it. (Well, for the exception of my anniversary at
work. 22 years on June 3rd. Wow.)

I hope everyone has a great weekend.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

  • At July 01, 2007 8:15 AM, Blogger Jenster said…

    Marrying your mom on Flag Day was a brilliant move on your dad's part!

    My husband and I were married 19 years on June 4. Not as easy to remember, but thankfully it hasn't been forgotten yet. :o)

    BTW - I followed you over here from Prunella's blog and I think I just may stay for a while.

     
  • At July 01, 2007 10:51 AM, Blogger D.O.M. Dan said…

    Jenster, thanks for stopping by. You're welcome to stay as long as you'd like.

    I'm off to visit your blog now.

     
  • At July 02, 2007 10:04 PM, Blogger carmilevy said…

    I'm so glad I read this entry now: our wedding anniversary is coming up on the 5th of July (this Thursday...yikes!) and you've reminded me why milestones like this are so important, and why we must take time - even if it's a brief moment - to acknowledge them.

    Good luck as you dig into your family history with your mom. Most folks would just let it sit: kudos to you for doing not necessarily the easy thing, but the right thing.

     
  • At July 02, 2007 11:04 PM, Blogger v said…

    As someone who has great difficulty in remembering dates like these I just want to say "thanks" for making people like me look bad (or worse, lol).

     
  • At July 03, 2007 8:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Danny,

    Louis says, "Thank you" for the birtday wishes. He had a nice birthday.

    As far as I know, Nana and Tata Joe were legally divorced. A couple years ago, Louis did a family history project where he had to interview the oldest person he knew, so he interviewed Nana. Even though they were divorced, she did not stop loving him, nor he her. So legally they were not married, but in all the ways important to her, they were still very much together.

    Donna

     

Post a Comment

<< Home