Danny & Family

Just Some Random Stories About Me and My Family

Friday, June 20, 2008

Dump the Pump

Did you Dump the Pump on Thursday? You know, leave your car behind and use some kind of public transportation to commute to and from work or school. Did you even know there was a public awareness program to do so? I didn't hear much about it before hand, and I watch the news daily. I heard more about it after the fact.

Well I don't feel guilty about not participating - because I took the bus to work on Wednesday! Yes, that's right. I've taken the first steps into a Greener world, and I survived. I feel good because it was the right thing to do, and I saved some money (on gas) and wear and tear on my car. I also avoided some stress on myself, and it really only cost me some extra time.

Just in case you don't believe me, here's my bus pass for Wednesday, June 18:


Allow me to share a little background. 1. Gas prices have been rising for a while now. 2. The company I work for has a Green Initiative, and has recently been promoting ways to conserve energy and otherwise do things that are good for the environment. 3. Gas prices have been rising for a while now. 4. One of my colleagues at work was tasked with something regarding the Green Initiative, and felt it was important that she also personally participate in public transportation. She provided me and other employees with information and feedback regarding her commute to work using the bus. 5. Gas prices have been rising for a while now. 6. I decided to give the bus a try.

Months ago, I commented on someones blog in response to their topic of taking the bus to work. I think I said that it wouldn't be feasible for me because I would have to take several buses and it would take a couple of hours. Well after researching numerous bus lines, routes and timetables; I found a route that worked for me. It only costs me $6.20 in bus fares, and takes about 1 hour and 40 minutes to get to my office. The down size is that I have to leave a little earlier and arrive little later than normal, and there's the possibility that I will miss a connecting bus. That will further delay me.

The up side is that I am saving money. When I drive my car to work, it's 16 miles one way, and takes me 45 minutes to an hour depending on traffic volume. My unofficial conservative estimate on gas mileage for my car is 15 miles to the gallon. At JUST $4.60 per gallon, I figure it's costing me at least $9.00 per day to drive to work, + wear and tear on my car, + stress from all the A-holes on the road.

So for now I'm saving about $3.00 per day, and I'm only getting home about a half hour later than normal. Not too bad, and worth it to me. More stories of future commutes to follow with pictures, of course. All my best, Danny.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At June 20, 2008 11:54 AM, Blogger carmilevy said…

    Three things:

    1 - I'm thrilled that you've begun posting again. You've always been a blogging highlight for me, and it's good to see new words of wisdom here.

    2 - Bravo for taking this initiative. When I worked in real offices, I commuted to work on my bike 9 months of the year. In winter, I walked to/from the kids' school. Best way EVER to stay in shape, help the planet, feel good about life in general.

    3 - Now that I work at home, I have to work a little harder to make excuses to get out, but I'm pleased as punch that I don't have to worry about commuting. In separate incidents, I've been run over and assaulted by the a-holes you describe (they really are!) and it's nice to not have to fight them first thing in the morning or after a long day at work.

     
  • At June 21, 2008 2:21 PM, Blogger LA said…

    I hadn't heard about Dump the Pump day either, but like you, I inadvertantly participated. Telecommuting for 6 years has been a godsend for me. As a result of not driving daily, my 12-year-old car has less than 100,000 miles on it, and has been paid off for 7 years now. I also save on insurance because I drive less than 12,000/year and get a better rate for that. I only have to go to the gas station every 3-4 weeks. It's astonishing how quickly the prices are going up. I got $20 worth (so, not much) about two weeks ago, and it was $4.51 that day. I'm sure next time I go to the pump (probably within the week, considering my sister-in-law is 39-3/7 weeks pregnant and they live about 25 miles away), prices will have gone up at least 20-30 cents. Insane.

     
  • At June 22, 2008 9:40 AM, Blogger Diane said…

    Hey - I'm the blogger you referred to!

    Kudos for taking the plunge - I'm embarassed to say that I still haven't done so.

     
  • At June 23, 2008 6:51 PM, Blogger D.O.M. Dan said…

    Carmi,
    I'm glad to be back, and I appreciate your comments.

    LA,
    I too drive less than the national ave., and try to stretch my miles further. For example, running errands: one trip; multiple stops. The real killer is diesel (for our truck) at $5.15/gal. But we drive that even less, and only fill up every other week or so.

    Diane,
    I thought it was your topic. Hey, give it a try when you return from NYC.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home