Danny & Family

Just Some Random Stories About Me and My Family

Saturday, June 20, 2009

The Saturday Morning Post - Vol. 2 - Year One

This morning I've decided to review the movie Year One. Year One opened in theaters yesterday, and if you are a fan of Jack Black, or like watching silly comedies, you will probably enjoy the movie - but not that much. My wife and I went on a rare date together, and saw the movie at our local theater. We like Jack Black, and had also seen Nacho Libre on opening night a couple of years ago.

Year One is funny at times, silly at times, dumb at times; not as funny as Nacho was, but basically met my expectation. From just watching the trailers online over the past month or so, I figured I was watching all of the funniest scenes that the movie would offer. But now having seen the it, there were a couple more funny scenes. Keep in mind, what's funny for me is probably not funny for you. Even my wife and I don't agree on that. She's drawn more to this type of a silly comedy than I am.

The audience in our theater seemed to enjoy the movie. There were times when the laughter was hearty and widespread, but not as much as I recall with Nacho. Overall, I would recommend it - if you like movies such as Monty Python's Life of Brian, or Mel Brooks' History of the World Part 1. But if you prefer cutting edge topical humor - you will not find any in Year One. If you are offended by any humor directed at the bible, or if it's important to you to have historically accurate facts, then this movie is not for you.

I'm not an expert on the bible, but I'm pretty sure the stories of Adam and Eve, Cane and Able, and Abraham nearly sacrificing his son Issac - didn't all take place at the same time, let alone during the time when the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah where thriving cities. All of this comes into play in the movie, as Jack Black (a hunter) and Michael Cera (a gatherer) in a pre-historic tribe, leave their tribe on a journey.

I'm not going to tell the whole story, but in short the pair travel, share several experiences, and there's a happy ending for both.

See you next Saturday morning.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At June 20, 2009 5:46 PM, Blogger sage said…

    it sounds like something I should see--but as for the dating of scripture, even if you went on a literal dating--they'd be a long time between Adam/Eve/Cane/Abel and Abraham--but it's a movie...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home