Danny & Family

Just Some Random Stories About Me and My Family

Saturday, July 04, 2009

The Saturday Morning Post - Vol. 4 - The 4th of July

Today, July 4th, we Americans celebrate Independence Day. This is a day commemorating the anniversary of winning our independence from England on July 4, 1776. This, of course, is not breaking news, but I think this detail is sometimes forgotten by some people. It seems to me that too many people think the Fourth of July is another excuse to party, and this party includes fireworks.

I try to instill in my kids that there is an important reason to celebrate today: our freedom. We have the freedom to do so many things, our human rights are protected under the law, and we can live how we choose to live; all because of the actions that our Founding Fathers took, and that our elected officials have continued to protect. I remind my kids how lucky they are to have freedom, and I point out current examples where such freedoms are not so abundant (Iran, North Korea).


I am grateful for our teachers who continue to educate our children about the revolutionary period of our history, and the fight for freedom fought by the colonialist. I am grateful to all of the people - our military especially, but also our politicians and our private citizens - who have taken steps to preserve our freedom. And most important to me, personally, I try to remember to thank God everyday for allowing me to live in this part of the world, and in this period of time.

I hope your Fourth of July is enjoyable in whatever you plan to do. We are having a few friends over for a barbecue and swim party. Later this evening we will watch the fireworks show at the high school. I'm sure it will be a good day!

See you next Saturday morning.

2 Comments:

  • At July 04, 2009 4:52 PM, Blogger sage said…

    Good message. I was expecting a safety twist--something about being careful or you'll be free of some fingers or an eye or ear drum... Have a good 4th!

     
  • At July 05, 2009 11:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi.

    Thanks for stopping by my place and commenting. All are welcome and the more the merrier!

    I look forward to perusing your journal further. Unfortunately, duty and family calls at the moment.

    Cheers.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home