Danny & Family

Just Some Random Stories About Me and My Family

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Summer Vacation - San Diego (part 1)

Continuing my Summer Vacation series of posts - next is our family trip to the San Diego area in early July. My wife and I planned a two-day / two-night weekend trip to SeaWorld and Legoland. Laura checked out all kinds of hotels online until she found one that was affordable, close enough to both destinations, and available. The one we booked was actually a golf and tennis resort, so she and I will return someday to play golf.

The plan for this mini vacation was this: after both of us finish work on Friday, we would take the kids and drive down to the resort and check in. Then go to SeaWorld on Saturday, followed by Legoland on Sunday. Obviously staying over on Saturday night - saving us the drive back home and the return drive to the San Diego area. We would then return home Sunday evening.

Well we were very happy with the results. The kids had a great time, and we so did we! I took a lot of pictures, which I will now share with you. Let's start at SeaWorld. Did you know they had an area called Wild Artic complete with a Polar Bear attraction? Well they do. See for yourself:


Here is a Beluga Whale - also found in the Wild Artic area:


Our next stop is the seal pool where there were almost as many people as there were sea gulls. The people were throwing fish to the seals, and the gulls were trying to intercept it. I tried to get a picture of a seal sitting on a rock by itself. It kept its mouth open to catch fish, and kept barking at the people to keep throwing. The pic I took didn’t turn out so good, so you’re stuck with my 2nd choice – a gull / seal combo:


Its lunchtime now and we got a table next to Shamu. Have you ever heard of “Dining with Shamu”? It’s a cool attraction that takes a reservation, and you attend a buffet luncheon. Staff members lecture you about Shamu and other Orca, as they swim by. It’s so cool. We took a bunch of pictures, and here’s one just for you:


Now on to the dolphin pool where we stood in line to feed the friendly creatures yummy sardines. (blah – no thank you) Well this was another popular place with lots of people taking pictures. I like this pool because you can see above and below the waterline all the way around. I was ready to take the picture of this beast when it turned left. So I got a side shot instead of the front of its smiling face:


Thats it for now. I'll be back with pictures of the kids (and us parents).

6 Comments:

  • At August 17, 2006 5:03 PM, Blogger Diane said…

    One of my favorite attractions at the SD Zoo has always been the Polar Bears - many years ago, we would go down in the Spring (best time to see baby animals) and the young polar bears were a hoot to watch! Sounds like fun family weekend.

     
  • At August 18, 2006 12:20 PM, Blogger D.O.M. Dan said…

    It was a fun weekend. I actually wanted to take the family to the SD Zoo or the Wild Animal Park, but my wife and I knew the kids would have more fun at SeaWorld.

     
  • At August 18, 2006 2:27 PM, Blogger The Wrider said…

    Seaworld is a lot of fun. We use to have yearlong passes because our kids found it a great adventure and they never got tired of it. Great pics!

     
  • At August 18, 2006 4:27 PM, Blogger D.O.M. Dan said…

    Wrider - Thanks. There are more coming soon. I post things in parts as I can't spend as much time on this blog hobby of mine as I'd like. I also don't want to make something too lengthy for the readers.

     
  • At August 18, 2006 7:55 PM, Blogger ninjunkie951 said…

    I went to seaworld once and a seagull pulled a box of fish or squid out of my hand and flew away with it. I was going to feed the otters or something

     
  • At August 20, 2006 9:18 AM, Blogger D.O.M. Dan said…

    Raul - Those seagulls sure are agressive. Bummer that you didn't get a chance to feed the animals.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home