Danny & Family

Just Some Random Stories About Me and My Family

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Brady and His K'NEX Roller Coasters

My son Brady is really into K’NEX. I mean really into K’NEX. If you don’t know what K’NEX are click here or here. If you don’t have time for a side trip let me explain it this way: K’NEX are a modern-day erector set. The kids that play with them build things: bridges, buildings, towers, or in my son’s case, roller coasters.

Brady also loves roller coasters. He likes to ride them, of course, but also likes to explore them on-line. Of the time we allow him on the internet, he spends more than half the time on sites featuring roller coasters made from K’NEX. He also spends significant time surfing sites that have real roller coasters. (Theme park sites and the like). Even that thing that kids used to watch before the internet . . . the TV, I think they call it. . . If it has roller coasters on it, Brady’s there. He had this video tape of a TV show that aired on Discovery that featured roller coasters. He watched that tape so much I think he wore out the VCR and the tape.

I’m happy for Brady’s enthusiasm for K’NEX. It’s a safe, productive hobby that challenges him to think, and allows him to occupy his time in a great way. So what if it’s not the things I was involved in when I was 13: baseball, scouts, piano lessons, and playing with my friends. It’s not any of the things we don’t want him to be involved in: crime, drugs, or hanging out with bad influences.

So check out some of what he’s done. These pictures don’t do justice to the roller coasters Brady has built. Some from scratch (from his own imagination), and some copied from someone else’s web post. Just imagine walking in to your bedroom and finding most of it occupied with a custom-made roller coaster winding through and around your furniture.

This is Brady standing next to one of his designs. Look at how steep that drop is. He even affixed a tunnel to his track (the white thing on the left).


This is a different design. This is the station where “guests” enter the ride, and the coaster begins and ends its’ journey.


This is yet a different design that uses his dresser to support the portion of track that turns and then drops. Notice the map on the wall – it’s from the video game Grand Theft Auto, San Andreas. I would much rather have Brady spend endless hours building K’NEX roller coasters than playing that violent video game.


Brady has placed a sign on this design. The name of this creation is called “Doom Bringer Of The Night”. This coaster is mostly under Brady’s loft bed. You can see part of the ladder on the left and the bookcase in the back. In the area under Brady’s loft bed is his desk for doing homework, and a bookcase. It’s a great space-saver for our small house. There would be no room if he had a conventional bed and other furniture too.


Here’s a close-up of one of the cars. Yeah, people really ride on these coasters! They’re just not real people.


Here’s the last picture. Don’t tell Brady I used this one; he didn’t like it. You can see the bottom of the loft bed better in this pic, and how the coaster is supported by his desk.


Okay, that’s all for this one. I’ll try to get a post out once a week or so. So until next time – God be with you.

4 Comments:

  • At November 06, 2006 1:06 PM, Blogger Diane said…

    Wow! That is very impressive! Did you guys get a chance to hit the old Coaster at Pacific Beach when you were down in SD? It's pretty fun, and will leave anybody over 20 in need of an adjustment afterwards

     
  • At November 06, 2006 6:14 PM, Blogger D.O.M. Dan said…

    I didn't know about that coaster, by my son probably does. He'll probably want to ride it the next time we're down there.

    I don't ride roller coasters unless they're for whimps. The one at California Adventure is about my limit. The last "real" coaster I rode was at Buffalo Bills (State Line) about 10 years ago, but I had a lot of courage to drink that night.

     
  • At November 09, 2006 7:40 PM, Blogger The Wrider said…

    Your son is really talented. It's so cool to see young people actually interested and focused on something other than MySpace, UTube and/or Reality TV. Good for him. I used to love coasters...I'm from Ohio and we had the infamous Kings Island Beast Coaster - an old wooden coaster. It was the bomb way back when. Scares the heck out of me these days. Tell Brady to keep up the great work and let his talent and creativity take him far!

     
  • At November 10, 2006 4:01 PM, Blogger D.O.M. Dan said…

    Wrider - Thanks, I'll tell Brady. I'll have him check out that Beast Coaster online.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home