Danny & Family

Just Some Random Stories About Me and My Family

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Do You Want To Know A Secret?

Do you promise not to tell?

Actually, I don't care whether or not you tell anyone. And actually, it's no big secret to people who know me well.

I'm a Beatles fan.

There it is; I'm out of the closet. If anyone has bothered to read the links on my blog or the interests I've listed on my profile page they would have been able figure out that I'm a Beatles fan. And if you're a Beatles fan you would know that the title of this post is also a Beatles song title, and that the first line of my post is a line from that same song.

So now that I've made this Earth-shattering announcement, what's next? Well I've been giving it some thought, and this is what I've decided to do. I'm going to share with you, my loyal readers, some of the things that I like about Beatles music. Please keep in mind that I'm not an expert, and I'm not a freak. I'm just a fan of their music and I'd like to put some thoughts down on this blog about the band and their music.

I wish I was able to add music to my blog. Then I could put a song up for you to listen to while you read about it. Then maybe it would be easier for you to hear why I like that particular song, or it's lyrics, or whatever. But I don't have the technical expertise to put music on my blog, and I don't personally know anyone who does. I've read blogs that have music on them, so I know it's possible. So if you're familiar with the song I'm featuring - great. If not, break out your old record album or 8-track tape, or just download it.

So how about if I start with today's blog title?

"Do You Want To Know A Secret?" is a song from the Beatles' first album, "Please Please Me". It was written by John Lennon just after he married Cynthia, and the "secret" was that this was the first time he was really in love. The lyrics were also inspired by a song John's mother used to sing to him from the Disney movie Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs. The recorded song is sung by George Harrison, who indicated in an interview that the inspiration for the music came from yet another song: "I Really Love You" by the Stereos. Reading the lyrics below doesn't give the song justice; you really need to listen to it.

You'll never know how much I really love you,
You'll never know how much I really care.

Listen,
Do you want to know a secret,
Do you promise not to tell, whoa oh, oh,

Closer,
Let me whisper in your ear,
Say the words you long to hear,
I'm in love with you.

Listen,
Do you want to know a secret,
Do you promise not to tell, whoa oh, oh,

Closer,
Let me whisper in your ear,
Say the words you long to hear,
I'm in love with you.

I've known the secret for a week or two,
Nobody knows, just we two.

Listen,
Do you want to know a secret,
Do you promise not to tell, whoa oh, oh,

Closer,
Let me whisper in your ear,
Say the words you long to hear,
I'm in love with you.


It's a good song from their early years. In general, I prefer songs from their middle years. I also prefer songs written and sung by John Lennon.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At April 21, 2007 9:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It is thanks to you that I am also a Beatles fan. My first favorite Beatles song was Eight Days A Week, because I just thought it was weird that there could ever be eight days in a week.

    I grew to love all Beatles music and in fact, just listened to the White Album this week. :)

    Donna

     
  • At April 22, 2007 9:17 PM, Blogger Diane said…

    I'm not a huge Beatles fan, but I can appreciate their music, and I agree with you about preferring the Lennon written and sung songs.

     
  • At April 27, 2007 8:32 PM, Blogger kenju said…

    I have been a huge Beatles fan ever since I first heard "I want to hold your hand" on the radio in 1963.

    Thanks for the visit, Danny, and come back soon.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home