Danny & Family

Just Some Random Stories About Me and My Family

Monday, April 23, 2007

The Valley Of The Sun

My work took me to Phoenix, Arizona today. I had to talk to some people about something someone said that offended a customer. My boss thought it would be better to do this in person rather than over the phone. I don't disagree. It's always better to have these conversations face to face. That way I can see body language, such as the employee whom never makes eye contact with you during the interview.

Besides, it's kind of a treat to travel because I don't get to too often. I'm behind a desk in an office most of the time dealing with a high volume of phone calls and e-mails. A day out of the office is a break from that routine.

Have you ever had the experience of holding up a whole airplane? Being the last one to walk on board, and walking past several rows of full seats with everyone looking at you like you did something wrong? Then finally finding the one open seat left on the whole plane, and two people had to move for you to sit down? Well that describes my return trip home today.

And mind you, it wasn't even my fault. A couple of the passengers booked for this particular flight didn't show up by the departure time. I was on the standby list (my flight wasn't scheduled to leave for over 1 hour - so I was technically EARLY). One other standby passenger was called before me. Several minutes later I was called and allowed on the plane. No one on the plane knew that I was on standby, and just assumed I was holding things up. Oh well. I'm sure they got over it - and I got home an hour earlier than if I left my office on a normal work day.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At April 25, 2007 10:16 PM, Blogger Diane said…

    It always amazes me that with so cal traffic, it is frequently quicker to fly 100s of miles away than to drive on local freeways! And congrats on snagging the last seat

     
  • At April 29, 2007 7:49 AM, Blogger Anna said…

    Hey Danny, I am here after seeing your comment on Carmi's blog. I liked what you said there about building your family by taking them to church...AMEN brother and nice to "meet" you....

     
  • At April 30, 2007 6:29 PM, Blogger sage said…

    the times they have actually held a plane for me, I've always felt like a king! Congratulations on getting a seat--flying has become such a hassle and flights are now so booked that I don't particularly enjoy it anymore. Thanks for the well wishes on jury duty, it became a wasted trip and we were sent immediately home--so much for clearning my calendar for the week.

     
  • At May 01, 2007 8:23 PM, Blogger carmilevy said…

    Hi Dan. Thanks so much for dropping by my blog. I appreciate your comments very much, and will do my best to keep the great words and pictures coming.

    You're bang on when it comes to the in-person thing: when I led a team of 33 help desk analysts, simply being there was the best management tool that I had. When in doubt, it's always best to get out of the office and work it out in person.

    Re. the plane: your fellow passengers wouldn't have been so upset if they weren't so presumptuous. Isn't it funny how strangers always seem to assume the worst at first blush? Says a lot about society.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home